Saturday, October 14, 2006

There's a Magazine Called Sunset

"One of the few things left in the world, aside from the world itself, that sadden me everyday is an awareness that you get upset if Boo Boo or Walt tells you you're saying something that sounds like me. You sort of take it as an accusation of piracy, a little slam at your individuality. Is it so bad that we sometimes sound like each other? The membrane is so thin between us. Is it so important for us to keep in mind which is whose? That time two summers ago when I was out for so long, I was able to trace that you and Z. and I have been brothers for no fewer than four incarnations, maybe more. Is there no beauty in that? For us, doesn't each of our individualities begin right at the point where we own up to our extremely close connections and accept the inevitabilty of borrowing one another's jokes, talents, idiocies? You notice I don't include neckties. I think that Buddy's neckties are Buddy's neckties, but they are a pleasure to borrow without permission." (Seymour An Introduction, pg. 157-158)
Now, it must be said that my posting is with a slight tinge of regret, because I have come to revel in the irony of being the only member of the family to have not posted anything, but I also felt that this quote needed to be made public (not in the least because at this very moment both W. and S. have neckties of mine hanging in their closets.). The real inspiration (as some will deduce from the title) came moments ago when I sat down to check my email and turned on a song that had been in my head earlier today. As I did so, W. made a comment to me about how we have a tendency to touch on the same things at relatively the same time (S., this point of connection was with you, as I assume you know), listening to the same songs, watching the same movies, wearing the same clothes, without any prior discussion. I see nothing odd about this, I've grown quite used to it. In fact, I delight in the fact that we're so closely connected. Anyway, that was the point of this post and now I suppose that since I've broken my silence I can post again.

1 comment:

Seymour Glass said...

have you noticed what my gmail tagline has been for going on several days now? i think the fact that it's the same as the title of your post proves the very point. and yes, i still have the necktie of yours. everytime i wear it i think, "this is buddy's necktie." tis a fine tie. this also comes along at a time when i sent KT an old picture of us Glass boys (the only picture i have is 2 yrs old) and she remarked on our similarity of appearance.

this quote is apropos because i noticed Zooey getting frustrated last time i was home because i was often first to the joke, even though we were both going to say the same thing. the young ones must remember that there's nothing wrong with these similarities of taste and wit, they are what make us brothers.

plus, for those of us who know, we really are quite different, each in his own way.

'and a tape machine that won't let...'