Monday, October 02, 2006
Reality Orientation
I've instituted a new routine into my daily schedule and I'm suggesting that you too begin each day with reality orientation. As those who know me can attest I'm quite an accomplished sleeper and as such find myself on many occasions sleeping into the early afternoon hours. Sleeping for half of a day can be disorienting. In particular, discerning between dreams and reality becomes an issue. Vivid dreams play out in the many hours of hibernation occupying the mind with situations not wholly unrealistic. Most curious are the dreams within dreams: instances where you wake up after a dream only to find yourself within another outer layer of a dream. This is only discovered as you awake again to find yourself in this tangible world. When you live half of life in dreams you begin to question reality. Dreams are real enough while you are in them. But in the hopes of being a more focused and productive member of society I've commenced orienting myself to reality whenever I wake. "This is real." Pinch yourself. Breath deeply. Reassure yourself that what happens here, stays here. And don't evade it by the pressing the snooze button accept this life for the wonderful reality that it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
did you watch the trailer for "The Science of Sleep"? it seems like a film that's about this very issue.
i find that those lucid dreaming moments occur right before the alarm goes off. what i'm wondering is if the alarm has started to ring and then my subconscious allows me some lucidity. but the interesting thing is that i'll have quite a bit of a dream, from my dream perspective, where i'm lucid. what i'm wondering if that's happening in real time or dream time. does that make sense?
Not really dear. But as you and Matthew have similar sleep patterns, perhaps there is an explanation in there. It would be nice to find out- especially as the one who has the unfortunate duty of trying to get through the state. Bessie
Yes I did see that trailer it looks cool. Also all of us could use more reality. For me I wake up and press my new easy button.
Post a Comment